4.06.2011

some might say I'm thrifty

Or some might say I'm cost-conscious...or...cheap. I am. And I'm okay with that.

One of the best things my Momma taught me growing up was how to save using coupons. My Momma always used coupons...even when she didn't need to. It was just like throwing away money to her if she didn't.

When I was in college, I wasn't really a coupon-cutter. I mean, I used them for clothing at stores I frequented, but I didn't go to Bruno's (anyone ever shopped at a Bruno's? Not my fave) and then later Super Target and Publix (thank you, Tuscaloosa!) to buy my Ramen with a coupon. Ramen with a coupon?! Could it get any cheaper?

But when I graduated and realized how much little I was actually making, coupon-cutting came back to me. I started out slow...just using some coupons that my Mom gave me when I was home. Then I'd occasionally buy a Sunday paper. Then I got crafty and created a coupon folder to house my new-found treasures.

Now I'm a full-fledged couponer. So a couple of weeks ago when I lost my trusty coupon folder somewhere, I was devastated. After searching the house and the car, I decided it was time for a new friend.

Enter the flexi-file.



Enter one of my favorite tools ever - the Label Maker - which I sadly don't own.

Enter one evening of cutting, sorting and organizing...sigh.


Recently, a lot of my friends have been discussing couponing and I've noticed that there is some trepidation for first-timers. I started writing a post to help them get started, but it got very, very long. So I’m breaking it down into parts so that it will hopefully not be so overwhelming.

Consider this in intro to my couponing style. My next post will discuss how to organize your coupon folder.

And, because every post is better with a cute puppy, here he is. Tanner likes to help me cut coupons. :)



Disclaimer: I am, by no means, an expert couponer. There are some crazy fantastic couponers out there, but I don't have the time and energy for that. This just works for me and makes me feel good about what I save.

3 comments:

  1. YAY! I can't wait to see all of the installments and obsorb all the information you have Val :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to learn more! I want to coupon and really save...but you are so right. It gets very overwhelming when you are a newbie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admittedly cheap, LOL. But I don't coupon often unless I come across one that is a really good deal, with the exception of diapers. There are some AWESOME diaper coupons out there and every little bit helps, I think.

    ReplyDelete

talk to me